SOL #12 Don’t Talk to Me

Some people go to work and sit down, then work at the computer for 6 hours. They may only talk to twenty people that day. Perhaps they stand up and stretch or take a walk around the office when their legs get restless.

I do not have one of those jobs.

I talk to close to 200 people a day (easily), even if it’s just a “hello” or “good morning”. I do have a desk and I do sit at it, but I also walk students to the nurse, sit on a bench and console sad kids, take recess duties, and currently, I’m sitting on a pillow on the floor, with my laptop on a short table.

Continuous socializing is a part of the job. I don’t mind because I do love to talk, but when I leave work, I need time to decompress and just not speak. I don’t want to hear someone else talk to me and I don’t want to talk to anyone either.

Yesterday, I went to the grocery store after school. Something so small but so calming for me is to put my earbuds in and walk around the grocery store, in my own world. I don’t talk to others, they don’t talk to me.

It’s perfect.

7 Comments on SOL #12 Don’t Talk to Me

1. Margaret
    March 12, 2019 at 9:23 am (4 years ago)

Your grocery store must be different from ours. I have a friend who calls our local grocery the Facebook of our town. I totally get the need for decompression at the end of the day, though.

Reply
  2. ab5svw
    March 12, 2019 at 9:25 am (4 years ago)

I can tell your a talkative person

Reply
  3. Kathryn Merlene
    March 12, 2019 at 10:13 am (4 years ago)

Great observation. All that talking can take a toll. It takes a tremendous amount of energy to stay as”present”in the moment as teacher need to be. Sounds like you’re pretty good at it!

Reply
  4. Daven Carlson
    March 12, 2019 at 12:02 pm (4 years ago)

Good insight. Sometimes I find myself so highly sensitized to talking – talk talk talk talk talk – that by the time I’m home I have to force myself to have a conversation.

Reply
  5. 3A Bloggers
    March 12, 2019 at 12:26 pm (4 years ago)

I wish I could walk around with earbuds all day…

Reply
    • JennieB
      March 12, 2019 at 12:27 pm (4 years ago)

JennieB, not 3A

Reply
  6. thelifeofamomteacherandwife
    March 12, 2019 at 3:35 pm (4 years ago)

My ride home is always quiet! I just need quiet. Your slice was perfect!

Reply