Top Dog Names of Ms. Van Wyk’s 2017

I do not have a dog. I do not have any pets, actually. Growing up, I had two guinea pigs, but didn’t have any pet that lived outside a cage until late high school. Kitty only came into our lives because she was homeless and my dad gave in.

This past year, I’ve begun to feel what I call Puppy Fever. It’s similar to the desire men and women can experience when they see a cute baby and they get the warm and fuzzy feelings and think, “Hey, I think I’d kind of like one of those lil’ things.”

Well, that’s happening to me. I have wanted a dog for years, but between financial situations, work schedules, and living space, I haven’t been able to justify have a doggo. That’s beginning to change. I’ve found myself watching animal videos on Facebook every night. I’ve been Googling my favorite dog breeds over and over again.

Could this be a new phase of my budding adulthood?

Top Dog Name Choices

Warning: I like old lady names for dogs. I just think they’re really enteraining.

Blanche: Of course, one of the most fashionable women of The Golden Girls. Aside from pulling a vision of a strong independent woman who didn’t need no man (but was perfectly happy to be in a relationship with one), I picture a little old lady. She knits and her hair is blue.

Faye: My great aunt, Faye would be honored to forever (more like 10-13 years) be remembered every time I play fetch with my pupper. Aunt Faye wasn’t incredibly nice by the time I was old enough to remember her. I remember there were a lot of clocks in her house and my grandma was always jealous that “Faye got the beautiful white hair when she got old and I just had to have the dull grey color.” Aunt Faye matches what this dog’s style might be: watches TV. Prefers to not socialize much and doesn’t like small children with sticky hands.

Winifred: Winifred is a widow, living on the east coast. It’s a small town and all the town folk love Winifred. She volunteers at the local bake sales and even though she’s aging, she enjoys her morning walking routine with her Wednesday night bridge club. Winifred’s children finally set her up on an online senior citizen dating website. The dog, Winifred will actually go by the more youthful nickname, Winnie. Winifred the Dog (WtD) and Winifred the Human (WtH) both enjoy the park. WtD loves running around with other dogs and WtH loves to sit on park benches, watching dogs play together.

This post may be goofy, but it’s also an accurate list of my dog name options. I think I know which name is the lucky winner. I really want a miniature Golden Doodle, but I also love Labradoodles and Bernedoodles. Basically, if it ends in -doodle, I want it. The -doodle part of these mixes comes from poodles. Now that you know this, I am happy to announce, I really want to name my dog Winnie the Doodle, in reference to the world’s favorite honey stealing, red-shirted, Pooh Bear.

Which of these names is your favorite choice? I would love to hear your opinion!

7 Comments on Top Dog Names of Ms. Van Wyk’s 2017

1. mowhippoorwill
    March 2, 2018 at 6:57 pm (4 years ago)

I love the names. Hope you get a pet soon.

Reply
  2. Mallory Krueger
    March 2, 2018 at 9:23 pm (4 years ago)

Had to click on this post – the dog drew me in. This was me last year! I got my puppy in October. Her name is Harlow and she’s a Bernese, so I think you should get a Bernedoodle! They are the best dogs 🙂

Reply
  3. Michelle
    March 3, 2018 at 12:48 am (4 years ago)

We recently rescued a black lab mix puppy. Lots of work, but so much joy and I believe very therapeutic! Her litter mates were named after the DC Comics: Wonder Women, Katana, Harley Quinn … Our lucky dog was Harley and the name stuck. I’ve also heard (but no research backing this statement) that dogs like/respond to names that end in the “Y” like Harley.

Any of those names will do, but I do love Winifred the most … and you can call her Winnie for short! In reference to Winnie the Doodle or “Because of Winn-ie Dixie”! 🙂 Best of luck!

Reply
    • Readings the Baum
      March 3, 2018 at 5:42 pm (4 years ago)

Oh You!!! Not only do I love the names but I love how you give them personalities 🙂 My favorite name of these 3- Faye. However, I’ll tell you sometimes you can have a name in mind and then meet the dog and that name will change because the personality of the dog will guide the name! xoxo

Reply
      • msvanwyk
        March 3, 2018 at 6:02 pm (4 years ago)

That’s very true! I think about that a lot. I have a friend who wants to name his dog Megabyte because he works with computers and programming stuff, but, the dog might just tell him what her name will be.

Reply
  4. 3B Bloggers
    March 3, 2018 at 1:21 am (4 years ago)

I say Blanche! And then you can get more dogs and name them Dorthy, Rose, and Sophia!

Reply
  5. Anaese
    March 3, 2018 at 5:27 pm (4 years ago)

I am pro Blanche! I am a huge fan of Golden Girls!

Reply